The Adventures of Anne: a semi-retired bookkeeper, mother of 4, grandmother of several, recently widowed

Friday, February 08, 2008

Snow, snow, and more snow

We have been witnessing one of the worst winter storms in many years. I think the last worst one was 1978-79 winter when we had just a little more snow than we do now.

Wednesday, the 6th, was one of those days when you should have just put another log on the fire and sat down with a long drink of brandy. We ended up with more than a foot of snow in the 24 hour period. It began on Tuesday night, but not bad enough to cancel bowling, as it had the previous Tuesday. Wednesday I made it to the Care Center to help set up the altar for Mass. It was Ash Wednesday, so all the residents had crosses on their foreheads when I left. I came home, shut the garage door and felt that I was in for the duration. I called off my afternoon volunteering at Bingo and just stayed warm and snug. The man doing my shoveling and plowing has been here so often, I think he lives here. After the snow stopped around 6 PM, the air was clear and very bright. The plow came by to do my driveway and walks about 10 PM so that I would be able to get out in the morning.

Thursday was a beautiful, sun shiny day, and the sun did lots of good work melting some of the precipitation. (I can see the concrete on my driveway now.) Grocery shopping is a usual trip on Thursday morning with my friend who does not drive, and we were both substituted in a bridge club that afternoon. I had good cards and enjoyed playing with the ladies. Since most of the Church services were called off on Ash Wednesday, the Ecumenical service was held on Thursday evening. I did not attend, as I had been to my own Church for that event.

My good friend's husband called me early today to ask me to stop in and cheer her up. I did and found she had had some procedure done the day before and was told to take it easy for a few days. She needed some things at the grocery store, so I did that errand for her. I will call her tomorrow to see if she is doing much better.

Tonight Marlo and I shared a fish dinner from Culver's. I picked it up and we ate at her home. I brought some wine, which we both enjoyed. She does not drive and has been housebound all week and feeling a little depressed. She enjoyed my visit as well as the fish.

Saturday I plan to attend the funeral of an elderly woman I visited at the Care Center and brought Communion to her when she was able to receive. She died last Saturday and was the aunt of Ruth G. I imagine there will not be too many there since this woman has only been in Columbus a short time and she was quite old. I will attend to comfort Ruth. She took care of her aunt so lovingly for the past year.

It is getting a little late and since I did not have my usual catnap this afternoon, I am feeling tired. So, off to bed. Good night, you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home