The Adventures of Anne: a semi-retired bookkeeper, mother of 4, grandmother of several, recently widowed

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Hapy New Year-better late than never

After some prodding from two of my daughters, I thought I had better sit here and do some typing. Since my last post I spent three weeks in California visiting son Paul and his wife Nicki and little daughter Kate. We had a most delightful time!! Lots of celebrating was packed into those three weeks, including a side trip to Arizona to attend the wedding of grandniece Lindie. There was Christmas dinner on the 22nd in San Diego, Christmas dinner on Christmas in Huntington Beach, sitting while son and wife went to the movies at long last, Kate's second birthday (out to dinner that night), birthday party on the 30th so the children and parents could attend, New Year's Eve (son and wife went out with their friends while I took care of the sleeping Kate)Nicki's birthday on January 1st, drive to Arizona for four days, three nights for the wedding, home to California so I could pack to travel home on the 9th.
One more thing we celebrated was my birthday. It is always fun to be with family on my special day. Last year I was alone, but the year before I was in North Carolina with Ruth Anne and her lovely family. Signs and crepe paper greeted me as I came up from the guest room. I almost needed a vacation to recover from this vacation, but the trip home was most pleasant and ahead of time on both legs of the flight home.

YOu can imagine the stack of mail that greeted me when I returned. Peggy had nicely gathered it from the post office and sorted it into four piles. First class (mostly Christmas cards and birthday cards), other first class, second class and junk mail. I got through most of it in a day or two, except the last pile. That I did today, would you believe?

Beside picking up the mail, Peggy also watered my plants, took care of the bills I left to be paid (my checks, of course) and turned the heat up so I could come into a warm home. That was so nice!! One of my plants was in bloom for the first time in over a year. Thanks, Peggy.

I was glad to be away because "my man" doing the snow removal took care of the driveway and sidewalks eleven times in December. What a huge bill!!! Even so, it is better than getting my back out of whack again. Still seeing the chiropractor from the snow shoveling last February. So far in January since I have been home, he has been here four times. More snow is expected tonight. When will it ever end?

Daughter Mary was glad to see me so I could bring some of her office work up to date. Tomorrow I will pick up where I left off last Tuesday, if the snow is not too serious.

Between the Australian Open Tennis tournament and the playoff games, I have had a front row seat in front of the TV. Today, however, the Packers lost in overtime. I may watch the Super Bowl in two weeks, just to see if the Patriots can do the whole season and post season without a loss. I think they can.!! Seerena and Venus Williams are still holding their own in the tennis tournament, as is James Blake, the only surviving American male. He played a super match in five sets defeating Bahgdadis, after being down two sets and 4 games to 1. What a match!!!!

Next weekend, the bowling team will travel to Oshkosh to bowl in the State Tournament. I am hoping the weather is good for the hour drive. We always have a good time and usually lots of laughs.

Getting late and I must get up at a decent hour in the morning so I'll sign off for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home